POMELO LIME CURD
The vibrant flavors of pomelo and lime go beautifully together in this rich, creamy and zesty curd that is as tasty as it is versatile. Serve it with scones or toast, smear it on waffles or pancakes, or use it as a perfect filling for pomelo tarts. EQUIPMENT: KitchenAid® K400 Blender; citrus zester; pastry spatula; medium saucepan; 16 oz./473 ml. wide mouth Mason jar with lid
- Add sugar, lime zest, and Pomelo zest to your KitchenAid® K400 Blender. Cover the blender and pulse 2 times to mix, then blend on speed 5 for 10 seconds. Remove lid, scrape down the sides of blender, then blend on speed 5 for 20 more seconds.
- Add softened butter and pulse 2 times. Remove lid, stir and scrape down sides. Recover the blender and pulse 2 more times. Continue this process 2 more times.
- Add Pomelo juice, lime juice, egg yolks and salt and blend on speed 2 for 20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture (it will look lumpy) into the saucepan and turn stove to medium heat. Use a pastry spatula to stir constantly, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan to prevent scorching. (NOTE: Do not bring to a boil or it will separate the curd.)
- Cook until slightly thickened and temperature reads 170ºF ( 76ºC), about 5-6 minutes. Once mixture reaches temperature, continue to stir and cook for 4-5 more minutes, or until spatula leaves a clear trail (which then quickly disappears) in the bottom of the saucepan. Curd will be smooth and creamy when ready.
- Remove pan from heat and pour into the clean mason jar and seal. Place in the refrigerator to cool for at least 4 hours.
- CHEF’S NOTES: Using softened butter, and not just room temperature butter, is important for the process of making smooth curd. Soften (not melt) butter in the microwave for 8-10 seconds. Because heat distribution can vary greatly on different cooktops, go by the temperature and thickness of the curd when cooking on the stove instead of solely relying on suggested times.
- Finished curd will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.